Chocolate Mars

Mars Chocolate was the brainchild of a young, ambitious and quirky entrepreneur who, having learned the secrets of chocolate from his father and well-known Swiss producers, managed to make his own chocolate and get to the top just like he was dreaming. His father, who expelled him from the country, also contributed to his success ...

In 1911, Frank Mars and his wife, Ethel, made sweets in their kitchen, which they sold locally. However, a series of ill-fated business moves has put the couple in dire financial straits. Shortly after World War I in 1920, Frank Mars, with just $ 400 in his pocket, is still searching for the idea that will save him from the poverty he had fallen into in recent years. That same year, he and his 11-year-old son, Forrest, visited a local grocery in Minneapolis, USA, when he came up with the idea of ​​making a milk chocolate that could be consumed everywhere. Indeed, in 1923, after three years of research, he made the Milky Way, which achieved unprecedented success making Frank Mars a multi-millionaire.

However, his son wanted to go his own way. Away from his now divorced father for more than 15 years, he chooses to study engineering. But fate would play the odd game, as, as a Camel cigarette seller, he is arrested for illegally flying advertising in shop windows in Chicago. The incident is taking dimensions in the press, with his estranged father paying the bail and releasing him.

In the 1930s, reunification led the young man to work at his father's factory in Chicago, an extensive railroad network ideal for chocolate distribution, thanks to Milky Way and Snickers chocolates. The two men, however, were strong personalities, and this soon brought them into open conflict, resulting in the son being removed from the company. So, in 1932, Forrest Marsh followed his father's "advice", who gave him $ 50,000 and the rights to sell his chocolate abroad, and sought his fortune in England. He was quite ambitious and believed that one day he would conquer the whole world.

Mars worked for a few years for the Swiss Tobler and Nestlé, where he was introduced to the world of chocolate, and later opened a small confectionery factory in England, where he produced Mars chocolate. Bussiness was going well and that made him be extended to other sectors, starting first with producing quality pet food, such as Pedigree and Whiskas. His products broke the market making him the largest pet food producer in England.

During World War II, he returned to Chicago, where he took over the faltering company of his defunct father. A pioneer, he is experimenting with a new medium, radio, by choosing to grant local radio broadcasting. Soon, his mind came down with another radical idea: chocolate that would not melt in the hands but in the mouth. On a trip to Spain, during the Spanish Civil War, he observed soldiers eating small chocolates covered with a layer of sugar so they would not melt. When he came back, he went straight to his kitchen, where he experimented with M & M's.

The new product was so named from the initials of Mars and Murray Bruce (son of Hershey's president, Mars' biggest competitor). Mars invested 80% of the funds, while Bruce spent the remaining 20%. The explanation for this peculiar collaboration was as follows: chocolate during the war was only traded with bulletin, and at the same time Hershey was the sole supplier of chocolate soldiers. Thus, the demonic Mars had gained access to a promising market, that of soldiers.

When the war was over, a clever advertising campaign promoted M & M's, the only chocolates that, thanks to their "shell", did not melt in the summer, to children and youth in general. In the years that followed, the introduction of other successful products, most notably Uncle Ben's Rice and Twix Chocolate. Today, Mars Co. It is run by the two sons of - retired in 1973 - Forrest Mars, who continued the glorious path their father made, making their family one of the richest in the world.

Forrest Marsh left his last breath in 1999, at the age of 95. He was the 30th richest American with a fortune worth $ 4 billion. The news of his death was not announced by his company, which has always been known for its mysticism. He remained an enigmatic figure to the end by adopting contrasting methods of administration (on the one hand he was authoritarian and on the other he paid thick wages to his employees - Mars has in the past been rewarded as the best company to work for). He was particularly distant and introverted, giving only two interviews throughout his life.

Image